Thursday, November 17, 2005

Welcome....

This is my initial post to my new blog...Florida Girl Creations...

I hope to make this an on-line showcase/creative outlet where I can share my creations (both edible and non-edible) with the tremendous crafty community that exists out there!

A little about me...I call my blog Florida Girl Creations because I am a native Floridian (born and raised). I learned to sew from my maternal grandparents...they owned a canvas awning shop in Daytona Beach, and I would go there after school and watch them sew huge boat tops, awnings, they even repaired a circus tent once!

When I was about 6 or 7, I received a doll house as a gift for Christmas/Birthday. It wasn't a frilly doll house, and I felt the need to accessorize it. I remember taking scraps of canvas and making bedspreads, curtains, money, and of course, awnings, for my dollhouse. My Papa helped me with the sewing machine. Since I was small, and the machine powerful, I was not allowed to use the electric pedal, rather I hand cranked the needle through the fabric. These are my first memories of sewing....

Growing up in a single-family home, my siblings and I often stayed with our grandmother (our mom's mom) after school. Grandma taught me (and my brother) how to quilt pillowtops. She also tried to teach me how to crochet, but I wasn't coordinated enough for it (however, I am now a fledgling knitter -- my Grandma told me she could never get the hang of knitting). I also made doll clothes for my (and my sister's) Cabbage Patch dolls using a pattern book my Grandma had and fabric scraps she kept in a drawer in her craft room. I was pretty good at making clothes for small softies, but I have never gotten past anything more complicated than a no-sleeve shirt for big girls!

I attemtped every once in a while to sew while in college, but never really got that into it. Maybe because it wasn't as cool as partying, or maybe because I couldn't devote the time needed to such crafty endeavors. Add that to moving to a new residence every year, and not wanting to cart around a bunch of craft supplies, and I put it down until after I graduated from graduate school (with the exception of the few odd curtains I made here and there)!

That brings me to...I moved out of the state a few years back to pursue my career in academia. My now-husband and I became engaged, and I wanted to make something for each of my bridesmaids. I ended up making personalized tote bags for each of them. A friend of mine loved them so much, she asked me to make some for her bridesmaids. Next thing I knew, I was making personalized bags for friends for gifts to wives, friends, cousins, sisters...and Florida Girl Creations was born. I have only sold my bags at one craft fair, but I hope to try it again in the near future.

In addition to tote/market bags, I knit scarves (and one felted purse!), quilt baby quilts, and whatever else suits my fancy. I am starting this blog as a place where I can showcase my creations, feel proud of my accomplishments, and share with the larger crafty community!

Thanks for reading and I would love feedback!

Tanya

No comments: