Wednesday, January 11, 2006

No peeking Kristin! (but if you do, I hope you like what you see!)

A bag for Kristin's birthday (which was in November!) is the topic of today's blog...

I asked K what type of bag she wanted, as I felt the need to outdo the bag I made for her last year (see this post). After a number of email "conversations" about the type of bag she might like (hey, I don't want to labor over something for someone and then have them not like/use it!), I compiled this list of traits: "pink and black would be perfect and my first choice, but I'm looking for something that's cute and professional at the same time. . .1) it be big enough to fit all my crap (you know I carry around too much), 2) that it be cute (okay, so that's #1), and 3) that it's wide enough to stand up when you set it down." So that was my mandate -- cute and professional, big enough for a bunch of girl stuff, and stand alone. No sweat!

She sent a link to a purse that she liked so I had some idea of what she was looking for, so I could have a visual. I went to the local fabric store and bought several patterns (luckily they were on sale!), so I could decide which bag I really liked when I got home (of course my standard pattern is still packed up in a mismarked box somewhere!). I also went to several thrift stores in Nashville with some friends, looking for the perfect outer material. I found this very 1980's woman's double-breasted suit jacket that I thought would be fantastic. I also picked up some new pink fabric, velvet ribbon, a rhinestone pin (the vintage pearl ear clip in the picture below is one that I already had and was going to try to incorporate, but in the end it didn't make the final cut).

Here are some of the materials I used for Kristin's birthday bag. Obviously this is a before shot!
"http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5073/1880/1600/IMG_2226.jpg"

Here I tried to catch the creative process in action!

I used a partial pattern for the bag's body, then added my own handles (the pattern called for purchased handles), and my own home-made flowers! These of course are detachable, as is the rhinestone pin, which is independent of the flowers, and all can be removed or used if Kristin so desires.

So, are you ready for the finished product?????

Drum roll, please............................................


Here is a stand-along shot of the "front."


Here is a shot of the "back." Note that I used one of the jacket's own exterior pockets to make a pocket for Kristin to put her keys or cell phone.

Here is an interior view:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Soooooo cute! I want one! Love it!

Cate said...

Love the bag - wish I had that talent. Where can I place my order? :)

Jen said...

That bag is awesome! You are extremely talented - think I can commission you to make a cool gym bag;-)

Unknown said...

You can place an order, but it might be May before I have time to get to it!

Just tell me what style, color, size you want and I will file it in my mind so when I am out and about (or sorting through my loads of fabric) I can keep an eye out!

Thanks for the compliments! I wish I had finished more projects over the winter break. Sigh

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Kristin, and I'm lucky to have such a cool, creative friend as Tanya. Because of her I have a cute, pink, professional purse!! It's here with me. I like to take it along particularly when I'm doing girly things because other girls (ok, women at this age) always like it. Good thing I got one while I could. Looks like the line is getting long for the next one.

mimulus said...

this is a great bag...did you wash the fabric first to see if it would felt a little bit?

Unknown said...

Thanks mimulus for the comment! I did wash it before hand, but it didn't felt so much as it wanted to fray. That was a bit of an issue during deconstruction, but I am really pleased with how it turned out overall (as is Kristin!).

Now, can't wait for my summer break to be super-crafty!